5 reasons to shop local this Christmas
Supporting your local businesses is a real must! Read on to find out our 5 reasons why you should shop local this Christmas.
1. You'll receive a personal service You won't have to worry about sitting on hold trying to get through to a customer service desk if you have a query with your order. You can quickly send an email and speak directly to the person involved with dispatching and making your gifts. We've even received freebies with some of our purchases, and an old favourite of many independent sellers is to send some free cheeky sweets with every order. What's not to love about that?!
2. You're boosting your local community & economy No one wants another phone shop, or supermarket chain on the high street! We like variety in Brighton, and supporting local businesses means they'll be able to grow. So your favourite Etsy seller may one day be able to afford their own shop front. Spending money locally means that your money stays local. It's a no brainer really.
3. You'll be able to give the most unique gifts this Christmas
Christmas is a time to give, and this Christmas you could give the most unique and wonderful gifts by shopping through local small businesses. Small businesses have the power to be as niche as they like, so that weird wombo combo of interests you and your mates have, someone else probably has it too! Know someone with a thing for cats and Jeremy Corbyn? Crazy cat lady boutique has you covered...
Got a sci-fi nerd for a sibling? Retro Geek Craft is where you should be shopping!
Does your nan have a cheeky sense of humour and a background in medicine? She will surely love one of these Christmas cards from Protease Prints.
4. You'll make the makers Christmas
When you purchase something from a local, or even national maker, you'll be making their day! Instead of lining the pockets of the supermarkets or chain stores, you could be brightening the Christmas of a local business owner.
Angela Chick explains this perfectly in her great illustrations for the Just a Card campaign...
5. And best of all, you can have fun whilst you do it! Many local communities have events promoting and exhibiting small businesses, which often have added bonuses such as, live music, workshops and some even do fundraising for charity. At Paper Daisy Events we do all of these all year round! Our events really get you in the festive mood and they're a great opportunity to make some memories with your family and friends.
If you want to support your local community this Christmas you can shop online or in person. If online is your thing, check out our online database to get you started - Meet the traders - Here you'll find the wonderful online shops of some of our traders.
If you prefer to make your purchases in person, then come along to one of our Christmas markets! You'll find us next in Shoreham on December 2nd & in Brighton on December 9th. If you're not local to Sussex then you'll find plenty of markets popping up around the UK at Christmas time, take the plunge and visit one, who knows.. you might like it!
Got any reasons of your own to add? Let us know in the comments section!